Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Rough Cut Nation

-
In August, I will be taking part in an exhibition with a group of artists at the National Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh. The show is titled Rough Cut Nation. I will post some more info when I get the full details, it will deal with the last 250 years of Scottish history and our idea of nationalism.
It was quite interesting to learn that idea of nationalism was invented at a time when the people were losing faith in religion.
In attempt to stop what the government believed would become anarchy, the idea of a collective nation was formed, along with a fantastical history to be sold to Scots.
-
The man explaining these stories also pointed out that that the nationalist idea was picked up by a man named Adolf Hitler who took that model to whole new levels.
-
I'm not that sure of how I feel about being a Scot, the only thing that Scottish people seem to be good at is drinking and having heart attacks. Of course Scotland is known for invention, medicine and education, but having worked in schools where 60% of 12 year olds could not read or write properly, I'd challenge that claim. It will be interesting to see what direction the show goes.
-
There won't be a Mel Gibson in sight either.

1 comment:

Liam O'Shea said...

Hi. My band John Knox Sex Club are playing on the 15th. I'm looking forward to seeing everything on show, I think it's a pretty interesting idea.
Take care.